Kappa Alpha Order


Summer Housing Checklist

By David Merrill

KA HouseAt the conclusion of each spring semester, many fraternity houses are left empty as the brother’s travel back home. Due to the house being unoccupied, there are opportunities for faults to occur that may cause minor to major damage. In order to exhaust your efforts in protecting your chapter house, please click on the following link to reference a checklist for the proper precautions prior to your summer departure. If you have any questions regarding this, please make sure to contact Assistant Executive Director for Alumni Affairs Michael Wilson or Director of Risk Management David Merrill.

View the full Summer Housing Checklist from Holmes Murphy.

  • Inspect all rooms/suites, document damage and collect payment from security deposit.
  • Complete routine maintenance on furnace/boiler/AC
  • Clean and inspect all roof drains and gutters (contact a local professional for this service)
  • Repair all broken windows and doors to prevent damage from inclement weather; ensure that doors latch completely
  • Have a roofing contractor inspect the roof, provide a written recommendation and repair any immediate concerns
  • Contact emergency service company to conduct an inspection and service emergency lighting, alarm equipment, fires suppression and sprinkler systems
  • Clean exterior of chapter house and check security/safety lighting
  • Clean/service fireplace and chimney and check for defects or debris
  • Inspect the hot water heater and exposed water lines and drain pipes for slow leaks
  • Remove and dispose of lumber, mattresses or other debris outside the facility, especially near the dumpster
  • Unplug and store unused appliances
  • Service and clean stoves, ovens, hood ranges and other kitchen equipment
  • Inform the host institution (college/university) as to whether the residence will be occupied or not and provide proper contact information for the facility

    If members will be attending school and living in the facility over the summer period:

  • Have each sign a housing agreement, specific to the summer period ƒ
  • If the appropriate officers will not be living in the facility, appoint someone to oversee daily maintenance, collect rent and pay bills.
  • Consider hiring a professional property manager to work in conjunction with a resident manager

    If the chapter facility is unoccupied over the summer, make sure the following is completed:

  • Securely lock the property and limit access to only designated alumni or undergraduates
  • Have a responsible alumnus/alumna, undergraduate or professional property management company check the property daily to ensure a loss has not occurred. A consistent daily presence will deter thieves and vandals. Hiring a professional property management company is strongly recommended
  • Inform local police and/or campus security the property will not be occupied. Provide them with a key/code for access to the facility and ask them to patrol frequently
  • If it will not affect the function of your fire sprinkler system or other systems requiring water, turn the water off at the main supply line (contact a professional for this service)
  • When not in use, remove all hoses and store in an appropriate place, preferably inside facility
  • Remove spigot knobs or install locks at each spigot location. Many vandalism claims involve turning on the attached hose and placing it near or in the house with the water turned on
  • If the property will not be occupied in the fall, contact your insurance agent to ensure you are meeting the necessary conditions required of a vacant property to not limit coverage in the event of a loss
  • Hire a mature caretaker to reside in and look after the property in exchange for free/reduced rent if a house mother and/or resident advisor is not available ƒ Caretaker provided with: 
    1. A Master Key (should allow access all areas of the house including individual rooms) This will enable efforts to deal with situations in a timely and efficient fashion
    2. Alumni/Alumnae House Corporation Contact Name & Telephone
    3. Emergency Response Contact ServiceMaster: 1-800-737-7663/1-800-RESPOND OR local company who can respond to emergencies and secure the property from sustaining further damage
    4. Insurance Claim Reporting Information (Company, Agent, Policy # & Claim Reporting phone #)

Blog Categories