AIM HIGH: Commission established for the Air Force Academy
A group of Denver KA alumni have organized an effort to further the Order’s Commission program. Following the Order’s Constitution and Bylaws, the brothers petitioned the Knight Commander to establish a Commission to elect graduates, faculty, staff, and administrators to membership in Kappa Alpha Order. The Advisory Council of the Order voted unanimously at their annual meeting to authorize the Knight Commander to create this entity.
A “Commission” is an equal substitute where an Active Chapter cannot be placed. The first KA commission was established formally in 1915 to replace VMI’s Beta Chapter. VMI prohibited fraternities from operating with cadets on and off Post. Commissions allow the KA “tradition” to continue for these schools while not interfering with the daily military structure or violate school policy regarding fraternities.
Commissions are appointed “Boards” of alumni, selected by the Knight Commander, for the primary purpose of elected current and prior year graduates. They may also elect faculty, staff, and administrators of the institution to which they are assigned. Commissions may be established for any institution where the Order has previously had an Active Chapter, or for any of the U.S. federal military academies.
KA’s Commission System History
- Beta Commission – VMI
- 1915 to Present (Beta Chapter, established 1868)
- Iota Commission – Furman University
- 1964 to 1974 (Iota Chapter, established 1872, Greeks prohibited 1963, reestablished 1992)
- Theta Commission – The Citadel
- 2008 to present (Theta 2nd Chapter, established 1883)
- Sigma Alpha Commission – United States Military Academy (West Point)
- 2011 to present (first Academy Commission)
- Sigma Beta Commission – United States Naval Academy (Annapolis)
- 2014 to present
- Sigma Gamma Commission – United States Air Force Academy (Colorado Springs)
- September 18, 2018 (the 71st birthday of the Air Force)
To recommend for membership anyone from these institutions, go to www.KappaAlphaOrder.org/recommend.