Arkansas State Alumnus in to High School Sports Hall of Fame
Russell R. “Bo” Gamblin II (Delta Eta–Arkansas State ’90) was inducted into the Rector High School (Arkansas) Sports Hall of Fame as members of the class of 2019, at the annual RHSSHOF luncheon on Saturday, August 31st.
Bo was a two-sport athlete at Clay County Central 1986 through 1989. He lettered in football three (3) years and in basketball two (2) years. “Bo” excelled on both offense and defense, as well as special teams. in football. He was also outstanding in defense and rebounding in basketball. In addition, he played football at Arkansas State University under Coach Larry Lacewell.
His high school honors included the following:
- “Best Under the Sun” in 1988 as a defensive back
- 1988 All-Conference in football
- 1988 rushed for 1,298 yards
- 1987 All-Conference football
- Outstanding offensive back his senior year
- Outstanding defensive back his senior year
- Most valuable player on the 1988 Clay County Central team
His rushing ability on the football field is evidenced by the following: As a senior, he went over the 100-yard mark six times, including 240 against Jonesboro Westside, 190 against Corning, 174 against Piggott, 129 against Gosnell, 106 against Marked Tree, and 101 against Pocahontas. In addition, he gained 100 against Harrisburg, and 98 against Walnut Ridge.
The following provides the reason why “Bo” was recognized by the Arkansas Gazette for his performance against Jonesboro Westside:
- Rushed 34 times for 240 yards, including a touchdown run of 66 yards on the second play of the game.
- Caught a pass for 23 yards.
- From his linebacker position, had 11 tackles and a crucial game-saving interception on the final play of the game.
- Coach Temerian said it was a “once-in-a-lifetime” game for his standout senior.
- For his efforts against Westside, Bo was named the “Player of the Week” for the entire state by the Arkansas Gazette.
In his senior year, Bo was an outstanding player on offense, defense, and special teams. He averaged 129.8 rushing yards per game and averaged gaining a total of 194.5 yards per game. In addition, he averaged 6.6 tackles per game and assisted in an additional 4.5 tackles per game. His junior year he only played running back for eight games, rushed for 849 yards for 94.3 yards per game. In addition, he made 52 tackles and assisted in another 56 tackles.
Bo also played basketball for the Cougars and had an outstanding senior season. He contributed as a scorer and was an outstanding rebounder and defensive player. He was named by Coach Bill Cossey as the Outstanding Defensive Player on the team.