Kappa Alpha’s system of Province Courts of Honor is unique among national college fraternities.
The first Court of Honor was instituted by a resolution proposed by Province Commander Frank H. Myers and unanimously adopted at the fifth province council of James Ward Wood Province in Washington, D.C. in October of 1930. Today, each of the Order’s provinces have their own distinctive Court of Honor. For insignia, each Court utilizes its own Provincial Cross, distinguished from one another by the different provincial colors.
The purpose of the Court of Honor is to recognize and honor alumni for their continuing interest, support, and participation in the Order, its active chapters or its alumni chapters, and to stimulate the growth and strength of the Order, its chapters and members.
To qualify for membership, a member of the Court shall be a loyal alumnus who has not been affiliated with an active chapter or enrolled in an undergraduate school for three years. Court of Honor membership is bestowed upon brothers who have distinguished themselves by continuing service and interest in the Order, its active chapters or its alumni chapters, or who have brought credit to themselves and to the Order in their public or private life.
Each Court of Honor is lead by at least two officers, the Preceptor and the Registrar. Additional offices may be created or appointed by the Court’s Preceptor according to the bylaws and traditions of the Court.
The Preceptor shall be the executive officer of the Court and shall preside at all meetings and functions of the Court. In addition, the Province Commander shall be primarily responsible to the Knight Commander for the proper and effective functioning of the Court. The Preceptor shall be appointed by the Province Commander or elected by the Court, according to the bylaws and traditions of the Court. More information regarding Courts of Honors can be found in Article 11 of the Constitution of Kappa Alpha Order.
Each member, upon induction into the Court of Honor, receives the Court of Honor Jewel, and the Court’s membership certificate.
Nearly 2,300 brothers have been inducted into the Order’s Courts of Honor since its inception in 1930. Through this Court of Honor system, these alumni are honored for their exemplary service to the Order and to their fellow man.